Each year, the Veterans of Foreign Wars selects emergency medical technicians, law enforcement and firefighter personnel to receive VFW Public Servant Awards. Post Safety Chairmen are encouraged to submit a candidate for these awards to their Department Headquarters by January 1.
VFW National Emergency Medical Technician Public Servant
Any individual, who actively gives emergency medical treatment, provides rescue service or civil disaster assistance as a member of any public or volunteer company organized to give emergency medical care, provide rescue and civil disaster assistance to our nation’s citizens.
VFW National Law Enforcement Public Servant Citation:
Any individual who serves in a municipal, county, state or federal unit tasked with enforcement of the laws pertaining to their area of responsibility. This award does not apply to individual employed by private companies or security services.
VFW National Firefighters Public Servant Citation: Any
individual who actively fights fires as a member of
any public or volunteer company organized to fight fires and give assistance to our nation’s citizens.
Criteria for these awards – Candidates must have demonstrated:
1) Recognition by their colleagues or those they serve.
2) Consistent excellence in the performance of their duties
3) Consistent dedication to their official responsibilities over a period of years and continuous growth in responsibilities and skills within their profession.
Documentation required for all Candidates
1) Nomination letter containing the candidate’s name, title, address, telephone and identifying the award for which the individual should be considered.
2) One (1) page resume of the candidate’s overall background.
3) One (1) page resume of the candidate’s background in their field.
4) One (1) page listing of the candidate’s accomplishment and awards in their field.
5) Photograph (preferably a head shot) of the candidate.
Nomination – Post Safety Chairmen should send the above information to their Department Headquarters to arrive not later than January 1.
Public Servant National Award (Law Enforcement, Firefighter, Emergency Services) January 1, Nominations from Post to Department February 1(to guarantee receipt for Department Convention), Nominations from Department to National
Contact Don Mackey Safety Chairman with any questions