Public Servant Award Citations for Emergency Medical Technicians, Law Enforcement Personnel and Firefighters
Each year, the Veterans of Foreign Wars selects emergency medical technicians, law enforcement and firefighter personnel to receive VFW Public Servant Awards. Post Safety Chairmen are encouraged to submit a candidate for these awards to their Department Headquarters by January 1. The Department must select a single candidate for each of the three awards and submit those to VFW National Headquarters by February 1. NOTE: The VFW National Programs Department does not require all documentation items to be mailed to Kansas City, Missouri (from Department to National.) The only item the National VFW Programs Department requires is the “VFW Department Public Servant Award Citation Request Form” which is attached, and it is also located underneath the Safety Chairman’s Manual on www.vfw.org – after log-in, under the “General Members Tools and Resources” heading. This form can also be e-mailed to you upon request – you can send an e-mail to email@example.com or call 816-756-3390, ext 287.
VFW National Emergency Medical Technician Public Servant Citation:
Any individual, who actively gives emergency medical treatment, provides rescue service or civil disaster assistance as a member of any public or volunteer company organized to give emergency medical care, provide rescue and civil disaster assistance to our nation’s citizens.
VFW National Law Enforcement Public Servant Citation:
Any individual who serves in a municipal, county, state or federal unit tasked with enforcement of the laws pertaining to their area of responsibility. This award does not apply to individual employed by private companies or security services.
VFW National Firefighters Public Servant Citation:
Any individual who actively fights fires as a member of any public or volunteer company organized to fight fires and give assistance to our nation’s citizens.
Criteria for these awards – Candidates must have demonstrated:
1) Recognition by their colleagues or those they serve.
2) Consistent excellence in the performance of their duties
3) Consistent dedication to their official responsibilities over a period of years and continuous growth in responsibilities and skills within their profession.
Documentation required for all Candidates
1) Nomination letter containing the candidate’s name, title, address, telephone and identifying the award for which the individual should be considered.
2) One (1) page resume of the candidate’s overall background.
3) One (1) page resume of the candidate’s background in their field.
4) One (1) page listing of the candidate’s accomplishment and awards in their field.
5) Photograph (preferably a head shot) of the candidate.
Nomination – Post Safety Chairmen should send the above information to their Department Headquarters to arrive not later than January 1. Departments should forward their “VFW Department Public Servant Award Citation Request Form” to arrive not later than February 1 to:
VFW National Headquarters
Attn: Programs, Tammy Beauchamp
406 West 34th Street
Kansas City, MO 64111
Phone: 816-756-3390 ext 287