Commander Dennis Sullivan 2016-17
We all know that membership is the life blood of the VFW. While we do have a Membership Team I believe that each one of us is on that team. Each one of us is responsible for the future of this great organization. Each one of us should have our names brought up in conversation as the one who brought that person into this organization.
Please keep in mind that Membership is now year round with subscription dues. Don’t hold applications until July 1 the last half of your year. It is not fair to the new member who is waiting to be inducted or looking for the VFW magazine to come in the mail.
Some additional tools that may help you this year are as follows.
COMMANDER’S SPECIAL PROJECT:
Background: THIS YEAR STATE Commander Dennis Sullivan has chosen Homeless Veterans as his Special Project. He will be working with President Karen Dotson who chose the same Special Project. Combined with our Chairpersons, Joel Vanik and Linda LaRosa, we will work together to accomplish our mission to help our veterans in need.
“NO ONE DOES MORE FOR VETERANS”
Homeless Veterans make up 17% of the adult homeless population. In 2010 the Department of Veterans Affairs estimated that there were 76,000 veterans sleeping in the streets and increasing over the years, In 2011 there were 1,700 homeless female veterans and also on the rise. Veterans spend an average of six years homeless. Research shows that the greatest risk factors for homelessness are lack of support and social isolation after discharge.
Homeless veterans include having served in World War II, Korean War, Cold War, Vietnam War, Grenada, Panama, Lebanon, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
- Educate communities on Homeless Veterans
- Legislate Support for our Homeless Veterans
Monetary Donation Support
- All monetary donations will be divided evenly throughout the 8 Districts to donate to a Homeless Veterans Facility
- VFW Auxiliary will be selling Tee Shirts at their Fall Conference to show support for our Homeless Heroes
- VFW Veterans Fall Conference will be asked to donate blankets, coats, socks, hats, gloves to local Homeless Shelters.
- VFW Spring Conference – Veterans will be asked to donate non-perishable food items to be donated to local Veterans Food Pantry or Homeless Shelters.
- 1, 2, and 4 Man Tents will be donated to our Homeless Veterans.
- Veterans who are homeless or risk of becoming homeless can call or visit their local VA Medical Center or Community Resource and Referral Center
- Veterans and their families can call 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838)
- Web site va.gov/homeless to learn more